Below are the most frequently asked questions we’ve received related to COVID-19. We will be updating this FAQ in the coming days, weeks, and months.
Questions about FFRCA
- What are our EPSL and EFMLA obligations to different employee situations, such as remote employees?
- Is the FFCRA retroactive or applicable before its effective date?
- Does the FFCRA apply to me if I have more than 500 employees? How do I count them?
- How do EFMLA and EPSL relate to each other, especially in regard to caring for children?
- Do we still have to provide EPSL or EFMLA if we shut down, or if we furlough or lay off employees?
- If I am a nonprofit or a public employer, do FFCRA tax credits and reimbursement apply to me?
Questions about Employee Safety
- Can employees refuse to travel to areas considered safe from COVID-19?
- Can we send employees home if they are symptomatic?
- What if my employee discloses that their family member or roommate has COVID-19?
- Given COVID-19, if an employee is out of the office due to sickness, can we ask them about their symptoms?
- We are an essential business where there’s a shelter-in place-rule and an employee is refusing to work as they say it’s not safe. Can I discipline them?
- What should we do if an employee says their symptoms are not related to COVID-19?
- Is it safe for my employees to keep working? How do I decide whether to keep employees working or not?
- What should we do if a potentially exposed employee came into the office? Do we inform affected employees and/or send everyone home?
- How do we handle taking employee’s temperatures?
Questions about Employees Working from Home
- Can we require or allow certain groups of employees, but not others, to work from home?
- How do I make a telecommuting policy?
Questions about Layoffs and Furloughs
- What’s the difference between a furlough and a layoff?
- Our business is suffering due to COVID-19. We can’t afford to pay people and might have to close. What do we do?
- Do we still offer the same benefits during a furlough due to COVID-19 as we did before? What about a layoff or closure?
Questions about Pay
- If we choose to close temporarily, do we need to pay employees?
- Can we reduce pay because of economic slowdown due to COVID-19?
- Do we have to pay an employee we sent home due to COVID-19?
- How do we make sure we pay employees appropriately when they work from home?
Questions about Leaves of Absence
- How are we supposed to pay for the sick leave and FMLA leave mandated by the Families First Coronavirus Response Act?
- Can we require employees to get medical notes for sick or medical leaves related to COVID-19?
Questions about Unemployment